I wanted to work in publishing because I loved reading, and loved books; after years of working on them, that still holds true. To relax with a good novel remains one of my greatest delights!
After completing a Masters of Arts in Bibliography and Textual Criticism, I worked as an editorial secretary in Batsford Publishers, learning the trade from the ground up. After receiving my editorial training in Collins Professional and Technical Publishers, I worked as an editor in Heinemann Educational and then in Routledge & Kegan Paul, London.
Moving to Sydney, I worked as an in-house editor in Harcourt Brace Jovanovich Publishers. Appointed Chief Editor at OTEN (Open Training and Education Network), TAFE NSW, I managed all stages of the publishing process and established guidelines to ensure quality control. As Consulting Editor at the State Library of NSW, I worked on the website combining the State Library and the Mitchell Library.
Balancing work and family commitments, I worked as a contract editor for Cambridge University Press and Horwitz Educational (primary education), before turning to independent publishing and helping new writers develop their ideas and shape their manuscripts.
- Member of the Institute of Professional Editors Limited (IPEd) and the Society of Editors NSW.
- Fiction: Published two short stories (Papyrus Publishing, 1994-5). ‘The hanging’ and ‘The Reproach’ were republished in Bewildering Stories (Oct., Nov. 2018) http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issue782/hanging.html, http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issue786/reproach.html
- Shortlisted for the inaugural Rosanne Fitzgibbon Editorial Prize, 2017, for my work on Jerome & His Women: http://www.iped-editors.org/News_and_events/View_News/Rosie_Award_shortlist_announced.aspx
- Interview for Sunday Spotlight: Joan O’Hagan: http://australianwomenwriters.com/2017/10/sunday-spotlight-joan-ohagan/
- Guest post in WordMothers blog: https://wordmothers.com/2018/07/30/finding-objectivity-in-a-personal-editor-author-relationship-guest-post-by-denise-ohagan/
- Mini Style Guide: An Introduction to Good Writing and Manuscript Presentation (October 2018).